I like weightlifting quotes, even though I’m the one who gets annoyed when someone thinks that quoting someone wise means that they are wise by extension. But there have been a lot of great thinkers, lifters, and people that have come and gone, and while their words should never be a substitute for our own ideas, they can still be used for inspiration.
I’m collecting powerlifting quotes now that, while they aren’t all specifically by powerlifters or about the sport, do apply. Feel free to add to the list. I’ll be revisiting this post periodically when I find something new and noteworthy.
Also, it is unlikely that you’ll ever find any P90X advocates quoted here:)
- ” The meet don’t start till the bars on the floor.” Can’t find who originally said this.
- “Just remember, somewhere, a little Chinese girl is warming up with your max.” Jim Conroy, Olympic Weightlifting Coach
- “The bands won’t make you squat big; check between your legs before you change anything. It takes more than a band to make you squat.” – Chuck Vogelpohl
And of course, no weightlifting quote collection would be complete without something from The Iron by Henry Rollins:
- The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.”
- “The difference btw impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination.” Tommy Lasorda
- Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. Mark Rippetoe
- “Chuck, if you were a hell of a lot stronger, you’d have made that lift.” Marty Gallagher, overheard at a powerlifting meet. (thanks Sandy Sommer for sharing)
- “Nothing but a peanut” – Ronnie Coleman
- “I open with your third” – Anonymous
- “Powerlifters spend time looking in the mirror. Not in the sense that body-builders do, but more to observe the total structure. More to observe the tremendous power that resides within”. Unknown
- “Passion trumps everything.” Dave Tate